What can I do if my CalWORKs benefits are stolen electronically?

You can be reimbursed for unauthorized withdrawals from your EBT account even if you never lost your card.  This happens when someone steals your benefits from an ATM machine (called "skimming") or when you are tricked into giving your information to someone else (called "scamming").  


You must contact your local welfare office within 90 days of the withdrawal.  You can immediately call the EBT Customer Service Hotline at (877) 328-9677 (open 24 hours every day) to report and cancel your card. Choose the option 2 for unauthorized use.  You no longer need to have a police report to ask the county to replace your benefits.


You should then ask for the county for a new card.  Tell the county if you need to pick up your new card.


After you make a report, you must file a claim form with the county by using the EBT 2259 form. If your benefits were scammed, you must also file the EBT 2259A form. You must file these forms with the county within 90 days of reporting the theft.


The county has 10 business days to replace your benefits.  Holidays or weekends do not count.  If the county wants to investigate your claim, the county can delay replacing your benefits for 25 days.  


Here is a flyer with more information. 

If you want free legal information or advice,

Contact us

Disclaimer: None of the information or links provided at this site are legal advice.