Can CalWORKs help me if I am being evicted or I am homeless?

Yes.  CalWORKs has two programs that can help.  If you have a 3 day notice to pay rent or quit, have court eviction papers, or you are unhoused, homeless assistance may be able to help you.  If you are unhoused now, the welfare department might be able to give you up to 16 days in a motel or provide you with a security deposit and last month of rent for new permanent housing.  If you have a 3 day notice, you may be able to get two months of rent to stay in your current housing.  You can only get homeless assistance once per year with some exceptions.  One of those exceptions is a disaster like COVID-19. 


Most counties also have the Housing Support Program.  This program can help get keep people housed or help people stay in their current housing.  You can get help if your housing is not stable.  This includes that you have an eviction notice or do not have an eviction notice yet but think you will get one.  Each county runs their program differently.  You can ask your county for information about their Housing Support Program.

If you want free legal information or advice,

Contact us

Disclaimer: None of the information or links provided at this site are legal advice.