My child is struggling in school. How do I get the school district to evaluate my child?

Every school district is required to identify, locate, and evaluate children who may need special education. Referrals for an initial assessment may be made by teachers, parents, agencies, and appropriate professionals, like doctors. If you are making the request on behalf of your child, you should submit to the school principal a dated, written request for assessment that describes your child’s school difficulties. Make sure you keep a copy for your records. You can download our sample letter requesting an assessment.

If you want free legal information or advice,

Contact us

Disclaimer: None of the information or links provided at this site are legal advice.