Can I get Social Security benefits from a parent or spouse's account?

Children and spouses (current, ex or widowed) can get benefits from the Social Security account of their disabled or deceased parent or spouse if the parent or spouse has a significant work history (usually working for 10 years or more).   Social Security calls those benefits "derivative" because you can receive them based on someone else's account.  Eligible children or spouses can apply at

If you want free legal information or advice,

Contact us

Disclaimer: None of the information or links provided at this site are legal advice.