What is the process to change my name to conform with my gender identity?

To file paperwork changing your name and gender marker to conform with your gender identity, you will need to fill out a series of documents indicating what you would like to change your name and gender marker to and file them with the court. You must use your legal/dead name when filling out these documents. Some courts allow you to file in person, and some will require you to mail in your forms or make an appointment. Call the civil division at your local courthouse to find out.


You can review the court’s self-help guide or contact us.

If you want free legal information or advice,

Contact us

Disclaimer: None of the information or links provided at this site are legal advice.