What do I do after I receive the court order?

Social Security Card: Due to a recent policy change, the Social Security Administration allows you to change your gender marker without providing medical or legal proof of a gender change.  People who want to update their "sex marker" need to apply for a replacement Social Security card.  Social Security allows applicant's to self-identify as either male or female, even if it is different from your other identity documents.  Keep in mind that Social Security cards do not display your gender.  Social Security has plans to create a non-binary or "X" designation in the future.  


Driver’s License: You can take your court order to the DMV to change your gender marker on your driver’s license or ID.


Birth Certificate: To amend your birth certificate if you were born in California, go to www.cdph.ca.gov and go to Correcting and Amending Vital Records. If you were born outside of California, you can look up your state’s process for amending birth certificates here: https://transgenderlawcenter.org/resources/id/state-by-state-overview-changing-gender-markers-on-birth-certificates

If you want free legal information or advice,

Contact us

Disclaimer: None of the information or links provided at this site are legal advice.