How do I get copies of my criminal record?

You can get them from the California Department of Justice (California records only), the FBI, the court that convicted you, or a consumer reporting agency.


  • DOJ: The California Department of Justice maintains your RAP sheet (Record of Arrest or Prosecution), which should have all of your California arrests and criminal court cases. Click here for information on how to request your RAP sheet and request a fee waiver.
    • NOTE: Even if the Department of Justice fee is waived, you may still have to pay a fee charged by the Live Scan provider who scans your fingerprints for the Department of Justice. Click here for a list of Live Scan providers. 
  • FBI: Here is information on getting a copy of your criminal record maintained by the FBI (not just California convictions). 
  • Courts: You can also get case documents from the court where your case took place. You should call the court to determine if you can make document requests online, by mail, or in person. 
  • Consumer reporting agency: You have the right to request a copy of the report that is provided by a consumer reporting agency due to a background check. For example, if a background check is run when you apply for a job or for housing, you have the right to request a copy of that report.

If you want free legal information or advice,

Contact us

Disclaimer: None of the information or links provided at this site are legal advice.