I got a notice that I am losing my Section 8 / Housing Choice Voucher.

If you have a Section 8 Voucher (also called Housing Choice Voucher), the Housing Authority must give you a written notice before it takes your voucher away. The notice should tell you why the Housing Authority is taking your Voucher away. 


You have a right to challenge or appeal the Housing Authority’s decision to take your Voucher away. The notice from the Housing Authority should tell you many days you have to ask for a hearing to appeal the decision. If you do not ask for the hearing by the deadline you can lose your right to appeal the Housing Authority’s decision to take your Voucher away. 


If you do appeal the decision by the deadline, you will get a hearing in front of someone who did not make the decision to take your voucher away. You can bring witnesses to talk about why you should not lose your Voucher and you can bring other evidence, such as documents. 


You also have the right to be represented by an attorney at your hearing. You can call our office to see if we are able to help you with your hearing. If you win the hearing, you will be able to keep your Voucher and the Housing Authority should continue to pay part of your rent. If you lose the hearing, the Housing Authority may be able to take your Voucher away and can stop paying your rent. Even if you lose the hearing, you may be able to challenge the decision in court. But, you may have as little as 90 days from the date of the hearing decision to file a case in court. 


More Info

For more information about the Section 8 / Housing Choice Voucher program, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has a Housing Choice Voucher Fact Sheet.

If you want free legal information or advice,

Contact us

Disclaimer: None of the information or links provided at this site are legal advice.