Does the Tenant Protection Act apply to me?
The law applies to renters who live in:
- Most apartment buildings that were built at least 15 years ago
- Duplexes that were built at least 15 years ago if the owner does not live on the other side
- Single family houses that were built at least 15 years ago that are owned by a corporation
The law does not apply to some renters, including those who live in:
- Housing that was built less than 15 years ago;
- Some single family homes owned by individuals; and
- Some types of Low-Income Housing, where the rents are kept lower by a deed or regulatory agreement; (Note: this does not include renters with a Section 8 voucher.)
- Cities or counties where a local tenant protection ordinance applies.
This is not a complete list of who the law protects and who it does not apply to. Contact our local office to get more information about whether the law applies to you.
If you want free legal information or advice,
Disclaimer: None of the information or links provided at this site are legal advice.