Do you need help recovering from a disaster?

LSNC provides free legal help to low-income individuals and families affected by natural disasters including fires, earthquakes and floods.  We can help with disaster-related issues including FEMA and SBA claims, insurance claims, tenant rights, homeowner remedies, eligibility for federal, state and local benefits, and other issues. If you have legal questions as a result of a natural disaster, please call us toll-free for assistance at 1-800-660-3458 or email [email protected].

Catholic Charities is funded to provide disaster case management to survivors of the 2020 California wildfires.  Please call 833-775-3267 for free assistance with long term recovery efforts.  Catholic Charities Disaster Case Management Flyer

Need Immediate Shelter?  Please contact your local Red Cross for a list of shelter sites.  

Survivors of the River and Dixie Fires can now apply for FEMA benefits.  You can apply online or by phone.  FEMA’s individual assistance program provides grants and other support programs to help eligible survivors that may include rent, home repair, home replacement, and other disaster-related needs such as childcare, medical, and dental expenses.  

Are you a survivor of the Caldor Fire?  You can attend the virtual LAC. The virtual LAC will be updated with the most up-to-date resources for your area.  

Lost employment or self-employment income due to the fires?  Disaster unemployment benefits are available to people affected by the fires in Plumas, Lassen, Nevada, Placer, Tehama and Trinity counties.  File your application with EDD as soon as possible. Applications must be filed by November 30, 2021 unless you have a good reason for why you could not file in time. 

Need Health Insurance?  Covered California is opening a special enrollment period to allow residents of 11 wildfire-impacted counties to buy health insurance coverage if they do not already have it.  Covered California offers low cost health insurance plans and subsidies for those financially eligible.  The special enrollment is open to residents of Alpine, Butte, El Dorado, Lassen, Nevada, Placer, Plumas, Shasta, Siskiyou, Tehama and Trinity counties, where California Gov. Gavin Newsom has declared a state of emergency because of the Dixie Fire and other wildfires. Survivors will have 60 days from the date the emergency was declared to sign up.  Visit, or call (800) 300-1506 if you do not have internet access.

Additional Resources

Please visit the Disaster Legal Assistance Collaborative for specific information on how to prepare for disaster or general disaster information and resources.  

The American Red Cross provides emergency disaster assistance - food, temporary shelter, and other assistance.

FEMA - Filing Individual Claims. FEMA can provide immediate and long term recovery assistance to people affected by disaster.  If a large area is affected by a disaster, FEMA often sets up a Local Assistance Center (LAC) or Disaster Relief Center (DRC) to provide in-person post-disaster assistance and resources.

U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) Loans. SBA can cover losses that are not covered by FEMA or other programs.