COVID-19 “Coronavirus” Update: Our offices are closed to walk-ins. Please click this link to get updated information on your rights and how to contact our office.
COVID-19 “Coronavirus” Actualización: Nuestras oficinas estan cerradas al público. Por favor haga clic aquí para información actualizada sobre sus derechos y cómo comunicarse con nuestras oficinas.  

General Assistance/Relief

The county says I am employable.

The county may only give you General Assistance or General Relief for 3 months in a 12 month period if the county decides you are able to work. Tell the county if you think you cannot work because of a disability or illness. The county might ask their doctor to examine you or might ask for a statement from your doctor.

If the county decides you can work (that you are “employable”), the county should give you a written notice about that. If you think the county is wrong and you cannot work, you can appeal and have your case heard by an independent hearing officer. The written notice should tell you how to appeal and how long you have to appeal. If the county does not decide you are employable but ends your benefits after three months, you can appeal.

Once you appeal, there will be a hearing scheduled to give you a chance to explain why you cannot work and for a hearing officer to decide if the county is right or wrong. If the hearing officer decides you are right, the hearing officer can order the county to continue paying your benefits for more than 3 months.

More info: 

Look at the written notice or on the back of the written notice for instructions about how to appeal.

If you want more information or need help with your case…

Contact us

Disclaimer: None of the information or links provided at this site are legal advice.