COVID-19 “Coronavirus” Update: Our offices are closed to walk-ins. Please click this link to get updated information on your rights and how to contact our office.
COVID-19 “Coronavirus” Actualización: Nuestras oficinas estan cerradas al público. Por favor haga clic aquí para información actualizada sobre sus derechos y cómo comunicarse con nuestras oficinas.  

General Assistance/Relief

The county is sanctioning me.

The county can reduce or take away your benefits (sanction you) if you did not do what they asked, such as not doing a work project or not turning in paperwork.

The county must give you a written notice telling you that the county is reducing or stopping your benefits and why. The county must give you a chance to give a good reason for not doing what the county asked. If you think the county is wrong, you can appeal and have your case heard by an independent hearing officer. The written notice should tell you how to appeal and how long you have to appeal.

Once you appeal, there will be a hearing scheduled to give you a chance to explain why your benefits should not be reduced or stopped and for a hearing officer to decide if the county is right or wrong. If the hearing officer decides you are right, the hearing officer can order the county to end the sanction or reconsider their decision.

More info: 

Look at the written notice or on the back of the written notice for instructions about how to appeal.

If you want more information or need help with your case…

Contact us

Disclaimer: None of the information or links provided at this site are legal advice.